- The Certification Technical Manager has responsibility for managing all aspects of the Certification group and tasks including Objectives/Key Results, project schedule, budget control, customer satisfaction, deliverables quality, process compliance, performance reviews and career development etc. This role will provide personnel oversight, program leadership and team development guidance for the Certification group.
- S/He will work closely with the Key Technology Authority (KTA) to ensure the accountability for system airworthiness certification activities and capability growth to support the company business strategies. This role will demonstrate experience, leadership and accountability for team performance. This role reports directly to the Chief Engineering & Ecosystem (CE&E) department leader.
- Manage and lead the Certification team to ensure all the Certification aspects of projects execution and company strategies are addressed
- Plan and execute the programs’ airworthiness certification tasks over a broad product mix ranging from aircraft level systems to simple electronic components
- Forecast and address the resources demands and skill sets required to smooth the team allocation and mitigate the technical risks
- Provide timely communications on significant issues or developments. Lead the technical discussion and work closely with the airworthiness certification KTA to ensure the airworthiness certification of product/system and the capability growth of the team
- Ensure the quality of the airworthiness certification deliverables, address the root cause and implement the corrective actions when applicable
- Perform lessons learned and share airworthiness certification best practices across the business
- Establish and maintain the relationship and engagement with relevant airworthiness authorities, e.g. CAAC airworthiness certification center, CAAC East-China certification office, COMAC airworthiness engineering center etc.
- Manage the team to have the awareness and follow the applicable company and engineering processes, procedures and work instructions
- Develop airworthiness certification engineering procedures and practices that support the development and continuous improvement of highly engineered products and services.
- Develop, maintain and enforce compliance with internal airworthiness certification processes and standards.
- Continuously improve the airworthiness certification related process efficiency, develop new process documents if lack of applicable processes definition
- Establish and maintain the baseline plans and yearly schedules for programs execution
- Integrate processes across functional areas to improve coordination and maximize efficiency
- Collaborate with multiple internal/external teams and functions to address and ensure the precedence and dependences to keep the airworthiness certification tasks on schedule
- Lead and organize the communication with external and internal customers and improve the customer satisfaction, ensure the understanding and approval of deliverables from customers
- Coordinate with subcontractors and suppliers to define airworthiness certification programs and oversee their efforts
- Support the Bid and Proposal process by developing airworthiness certification programs specifically designed in response to internal and external customer requirements
- Plan and control the projects and team budget to meet the company objective by performing team level earn value control or equivalent
- Develop outreach and training programs for engineering population
- Participate as a presenter or reviewer in technical and program reviews
- Scope, guide and execute to functional, business and broad company objectives
- Participate on teams assigned to address organizational initiatives and generic issues.
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering, Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, or Computer Science.
- At least 10 years of experience in civil aviation product/system development related engineering positions.
- Familiarity with airworthiness certification regulations, practices and associated industry standards, policies and procedures, including ARP4761, ARP4754, DO-178B, DO-254, DO-297 etc.
- Extensive experience in airworthiness certification planning, audit, process, technical issue solving.
- Proven ability to coach and guide others and execute & influence in a matrix organization with effective problem solving skills
- Ability to engage and build positive relationships with both internal and external customers and suppliers
- Strong oral and written communication skills both in Chinese and English and strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated track record of leading technical teams.
- Understanding of system design and analysis.
- Familiarity with software design and verification.
- Familiarity with complex logic design and verification.
- At least 5 years of experience working with the design and analysis of complex system or product products.
- Strong technical aptitude, including engineering tools and systems.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Ability to guide and influence others.
- Understanding of the principles of the entire engineering development process, the associated documentation flow and associated tools.
- FAA, EASA, or CAAC background / knowledge / experience.
- Basic understanding of quality assurance system, e.g. AS9100D.
AVIAGE SYSTEMS is a 50/50 joint venture between General Electric Company (GE) and Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC) .
Building on a historic partnership between two world-leading aerospace companies, AVIAGE SYSTEMS aims to elevate the future of flight by unleashing our world-class talent, cutting-edge innovation and powerful partnerships.